Diaper Rash Prevention Made Simple
Close your eyes for a moment and imagine marinating your hand in a soiled toilet for several minutes every day. Sounds disgusting… right? No one in their right mind would want to expose their skin to such nasties. Nevertheless, your baby’s cute little tush is stewing in its own juices (so to speak) on a regular basis. No wonder their delicate skin is prone to irritation!
All joking aside, it is important to follow these simple steps to help prevent your baby from developing a painful diaper rash:
- Change soiled diapers quickly. Depending on your baby’s system and liquid intake, you may have to change their diaper more frequently as well.
- Clean the area thoroughly with each diaper change to remove all traces of urine or stool. If the diaper is only wet, patting the skin clean works well to prevent skin irritation and avoid diaper rash.
- Try out different brands of diapers and wipes. Some children may be sensitive to certain products. If you notice that your child is getting frequent diaper rashes, try mixing it up a bit.
- Incorporate diaper changes in your baby’s daily routine. For example, change their diaper when they wake up or right before nap time.
- Gently moisturize with naturally soothing ingredients, such as chamomile, to keep their delicate skin replenished.
- When necessary, use a diaper rash cream - as recommended by your pediatrician or pharmacist.
If you notice a rash that is very red, raw or sore looking or if you notice blisters, pus or crusty patches, it is best to visit your pediatrician. Hope that helps!